Monday, November 14, 2005

Happy Un-birthday to me!

Yeah! Yesterday was my birthday, but since I never have the inclination to play on my computer at home (nevermind trying to find the time to put the baby in the exersaucer and NOT have him flip out when I leave the room for 5 seconds to check my email), so I had to wait til I got to work.

My birthday started off rather wretched, but have no fear, it got better.

I went to North Conway on Friday with my mom to do a bunch of Christmas shopping. We stayed over Friday night and took MAJOR advantage of the sales tax free shopping. Wow... My mom has a Volvo with a HUGE trunk and large backseat and it was COMPLETELY FILLED with Christmas presents. So we came home on Saturday afternoon, so that we could celebrate my birthday that night, since Bill has to work on Sundays.

So we left North Conway at around 12:07 (I'm particular) and were making great time down 16 heading home. Then we got past Ossipee and we see a few cars stopped and a little further up, an ambulance. Okay - people are gawking. I'm from RI, I realize this happens. No... They had STOPPED TRAFFIC on the ONLY ROAD TO AND FROM NORTH CONWAY on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND, because there was a three car accident in the ditch. Apparently there was also some glass in the road. So we sat... and sat... and sat... and sat... in the car... for... an... HOUR! What the Christ? Seriously people. I've seen tractor trailers flip over on 195 and spew gas all over the road and I still got by in like 15 minutes! What... Did they have Michael Brown managing this accident? Good Job, Brownie! So I walked up a bit to see the accident, as did many other people, and apparently they had cleared a way, but still weren't allowing any cars. My efficient nature was severely punished that day. So after sitting for an hour, we finally got moving again.

So we finally got back to RI around 5 and we met Bill and Liam at my parent's house. We had a nice dinner, take-out from Gregg's, with The Giving Cake for dessert. Then we got home. Well... It was a bit chilly - no Maine/New Hampshire butt-ass freezing, but still... pretty chilly. So I went to turn up the heat. I got changed, fed the baby, watched some ANTM, and an hour later, as I'm getting ready to go to bed, I look at my clock, which has a thermometer, and it says 59. It was 59 degrees in my house? I have a newborn! This can't be! So I look at the thermostat and I had put it up to 68 and it was still around 60. Not good.

So Bill went downstairs and re-booted the furnace. It made some horrible noises, came on for a minute and then turned off again. Shit. So I went down - handy-girl that I am (NOT), pushed the reboot button, heard the horrible noises, accompanied by a PLUME of WHITE SMOKE out of our furnace and panicked. My child is going to freeze to death tonight, the house is going to catch on fire, there are lima beans under my fingernails... You know. My normal panic attack. So I'm freaking out and I'm pissed off, because I just want to sleep and enjoy my night before my birthday.

So we give up and I go to put a blanket and hat on the baby and he's nice and snuggled and warm, so I really don't have that much to worry about, but I still do. I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and it's 54 degrees in my room, according to my clock. Jesus. So I call my dad and he comes over to tell us we're screwed. Thanks, Dad. So Bill calls the landlord. I don't call the landlord. I hate the landlord. He tells us that he's on his way out, but we should call Charles o'Moron, the ass who (ha... I wrote whole at first) first installed the furnace. So Bill calls Charles o'Moron and we get his answering machine, which again, sends me into a panic and I put Liam into a winter suit, so that he resembled the little boy in "A Christmas Story" and was supremely unhappy about it. So I got my stuff together and went over to my parents with Liam, after Charles o'Moron finally called back to let us know that he would be over in "about an hour." Bill stayed at the house to play the role of concerned father figure. I don't play that role well.

So Charles o'Moron found that the oil filter was all shitted out and it should be cleaned once a year. Did you all know that??? Apparently it blocked all of the oil from actually getting to the furnace, which was what was causing us to have to re-boot the house every five minutes.

So I had a very stressful birthday morning. Then Jill came by and took me to see "Jarhead" and have lunch at Smokey Bones. "Jarhead" was VERY GOOD. Not just because Jake Gyllenhaal is a god among men, but because the acting was phenomenal and the story was intriguing. It is certainly a movie that will spark discussion... Discussion such as... "When did this movie take place?" "Was it 1990 or three days ago?" "I forget... Who is our enemy now?"

Then I spent more time with the boy at my parent's house. I was bloody tired and had to get into work a butt-ass o'clock this morning to do an upgrade, so I went to be early after watching "Reunion." Damn, that's a good show!

Wow... This is probably the longest post EVER in the history of blogs. I'm sorry.

1 comment:

jocey520 said...

Wow holy crap sorry your birthday started out crappy, happy birthday though!@!!!!!